The February meal plans start on Sunday, so I thought I would share with you one of my favorite simple meal combinations from the plan- sweet lamb meatballs, with mint and currants, with curried cauliflower ‘rice’ and yogurt. The spicy curried contrasted by the sweet, but savory meatballs and the cool yogurt is oh-so-delicious. I couldn’t get enough, and I think you will feel the same!
Though it has a few components, this meal is a surprisingly easy one to pull together, making it ideal for busy weeknights. It’s filling and also happens to be gluten-and-grain-free, and did I mention it’s one of my absolute favorites? Well, it is!
Sweet Lamb meatballs with curried cauliflower rice
Sweet Lamb meatballs
Makes about 20 meatballs
2 tbsp fresh mint
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp sumac
1 lb ground lamb
½ cup almond meal
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup dried currants
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
3. Roll into balls and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice or until cooked through.
Curried Cauliflower Rice
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder of choice
Sea salt, to taste
2 green onions, sliced thin
1. Steam cauliflower until softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Sautee onion and garlic until translucent.
3. When cauliflower has cooled slightly, use a potato masher to mash into small pieces, much like rice granules. Transfer mashed “rice” to pan with garlic and onion.
4. Add curry powder to pan and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes to let flavors meld. Stir in green onions. Season to taste and serve alongside meatballs with fresh whole milk yogurt drizzle.